John Warwick Thomas Statue
John Warwick Thomas, the founder of Thomasville, was born June 27, 1800; a native of Caswell County, North Carolina. In 1818 John Warwick Thomas married Mary Lambeth, entered politics by 1830, and was a Whig representative from Davidson County in the North Carolina General Assembly in 1831. Elected to the state Senate in 1842, John Thomas was appointed to sell stock for the railroad in Davidson County.
Along with helping to establish Thomasville, Mr. Thomas, recognizing the importance of education for young women, purchased the Glen Anna Female Seminary south of Thomasville and constructed an imposing four-story brick building on East Main, north of the railroad. In 1857 Thomas moved the school into his new village. This seminary was valuable in the community since public schools were not adequately supported at this time in history. The brick school building later was home to Ragan Mills for more than half a century.
In 1856 Senator Thomas took to Raleigh a bill to incorporate the town of Thomasville which was ratified on January 8, 1857. John Warwick Thomas died on May 17, 1871. Thomasville owes honor and appreciation to its founder who built a town on the North Carolina Railroad.